- Located in the center of the State, Grand Island is accessible to traffic from Interstate-80, U.S. Highways 281, 30, and 34, and Nebraska Highway 2, as well as the Central Nebraska Regional Airport. It is known as the retail hub of central Nebraska, offering lodging, dining, shopping, entertainment, service programs, and information to the 30-plus rural communities in a 90-mile surrounding area.
Grand Island is the fourth largest city in Nebraska, with an estimated population of 44,000. The community also serves residents in much of rural Nebraska including an area of over 20,000 square miles with an estimated population of over 200,000. Incorporated in 1872, Grand Island has a rich history reflected today in the stability of the community and the outstanding quality of life for its residents.
- According to the AAA, Nebraska gas prices are among the lowest in the U.S.
- The Grand Island Public School system, located in Hall County, is a comprehensive school system offering education to students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. Students identified with special needs are served through a three-county comprehensive special education cooperative, Central Nebraska Special Services Program (CNSSP).
The district includes a preschool, fourteen elementary schools, three middle schools, an alternative middle school, one senior high school, an alternative high school and a career academy campus. Combined, these buildings house over 9,000 students.
- Grand Island is the home of Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer which offers a hands-on living history experience that tells the story of early town building in Nebraska. Stuhr Museum is a world-class, nationally recognized educational and cultural institution, and an outdoor living history museum.
- The Grand Island Independent newspaper provides state and local news daily and provides a comprehensive classified section.
- Oseka Homes is a high quality, custom home builder serving Grand Island and the surrounding area.
- Grand Island is home to the Nebraska State Fair located at Fonner Park during the last week of August.